Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Process Essay

              I could hear the crying in the dark,cold night.Where the heck was it coming from though?As I walk further I see several large,wild looking cats up high on a tin roof looking down.As I get closer the crying becomes louder.As I look down I see where the crying is coming from.It was a shaking,shivering, crying kitten not nearly old  enough to be on its own.I swoop down and pick up this poor creature.I put the kitten inside my coat and glare up at the bigger cats. It  won't be left here for their enjoyment now I think.As I walk with this pitifull kitten in my coat back to my house I wonder how I will care for it.
             By the time I get back to my house with this little creature she's wailing to beat hell.For a being thats no bigger than a cell phone it certainly could wake up an entire town with its crying.Oh boy what do I do now?Awww...my friend Gayle.Perfect.She rescues cats for a living.She will know what to do.So,I give her a call.
             Once Gayle gets my call she heads over.She brings with her all the necessary "supplies."A very tiny bottle and nipple,evaporated milk,some sweet syurp to add, a blanket and a special soap.Good Lord its like bringing a baby home from the hospital!First trying to feed her.(By now we'd figured out shes a girl)It took a bit to get the hang of feeding this wild,fierce little baby.She grabbed the bottle ,fiercly scrapping at the bottle with her very sharp little claws and sucking for all she was worth.She sucked the bottle down in nothin flat and snoozed off to sleep.Aww...silence.
             Once the pint sized wailer woke up it was time for a bath.Gayle had said when their very young like this they don't normally mind the water.God how I was hopping that was true.Okay,baby luke warm water,special shampoo gently get her wet.Oh boy and here starts the wailing.She really doesn't seem to mind the bath,rather she seems to like it.I wrap her in a towel and get her all fluffy dry.Awww...so cute.
             Now Gayle informs me I need to "stimulate" this little girl to get her to do her bussiness.Oh great this gets better and better.Usually she says mother cats would lick them to do this but seein how she has no feline mother....So, I did it.Over the sink of course!Kitten pee running down my hand,crying in my ear I think what in Gods name have I gotten myself into?
             My family and I continued all these routines for several weeks.Feeding our new kitten three times a day,bathing at least twice a day and "stimulating every three to four hours.Several weeks into it she was still no bigger than a peanut.Hence our youngest daughter named her Peanut.This tiny crying kitten has grown into a warm, lovely,Maine Coon with a great temperment.She also seems to have an understanding with me,as if she knows I saved her.Always laying with me and purring.I'm so glad I searched  out that sound that cold night and learned and did all I had to, to care for her.I couldn't imagine my life or my familys home without her. 

1 comment:

  1. Very unusual story, very unusual process topic--I'm a dog person and don't really like cats, but I did like reading this rescue tale. You handle the process very smoothly--it's not a mechanical 'first step, next step' kind of thing, and you are very generous with details.

    Can I use this in the future as a sample process essay?

    ReplyDelete