Pages

Friday, September 14, 2012

Object Graff #9

                       It is older now the words and numbers on it barely visible.To anyone else it looks as if it should be in the garbage.To me I see more than that old hospital wristband cracking at the seams I see a fight and life because of it.I see in my mind the years of struggle,the nights unable to sleep choking on tears.I hear the conversations with doctors saying its one in ten thousand don't be disappointed don't get your hopes up.I hear the words of my beloved husband saying it will be okay try again.I feel my heart break off piece by piece day after day.I curse the conditions that have brought me to such dispair.And as I feel I have no more fight can take no more disappointment I hear my husband say again one more time honey one more.One month passed after my husband said that for the last time.It was the middle of the night nad I was happier than I'd ever been.I ran through the house turning on lights and waking my sleeping husband scearming,"It worked.I'm pregnant!"After so many years and so much pain I felt God had finally listened to me.Of course the doctor was much more cautious with her words."You may not make it through this.The baby may not make it.I want you in bed.I want you to be prepared."Of course all I could say was," Yup yup we are gonna be great!"The doctor  was right.It was a fight everyday.You've never seen a person so very sick and so happy in spite of it.Finally the doctor  said enough I want you in the hospital til this baby comes.That was a long month for me.Of course I had almost two more monthes of prenancy left but the baby couldn't wait that long.So at three a.m I called my husband and said,"She's coming!Hurry!"And the proudest father you've ever seen showed up with his "Worldest Greatest Dad t-shirt on." I remember the doctors saying to my husband,"Her blood pressure is very high be perpared your wife could have a stroke."Some hours later the person they doubted would ever come to be was in my arms.Early,small and fragile but with a fight in her just like her mother.We named her Grace for she came by the Grace of God in my eyes.And today she is still a fighter the one that never gives up.So you see that old cracked hospital band means nothing to anyone but to me it means dreams do come true and sometimes the best things are worth the fight.

1 comment:

  1. Gotta break a piece like this into shorter paragraphs--it's an organizational tool not to be overlooked.

    Anyway, whew, what a story and very well told. You use the bracelet very effectively in the open and close.

    My daughter's child came via a similar difficult route--the boy was many years in the making!

    ReplyDelete