Pages

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Classification Essay

                    Many of my years have been spent getting up early to walk through the same hospital double doors.After all this time it still makes me smile to myself every morning I arrive and every evening when I leave.There is a certain internal satisfaction to knowing I have truely helped someone during a bad time.I have learned a lot about people over the years and one thing I can say for certain is there are three types of  people that come in the hospital for help,The Complainer,The Smiler and The Deciever
                   First there is The Complainer.This is the person you hear from the ambulance.They have been screaming and complaining from the moment they were picked up.They are busy blaming everyone around them about the fact that the ambulance took so long right down to the fact that God has made it rain and what am I going to do about that fact?This is the person I am busy trying to figure out what I or the hospital in general can actually do for them."What happened,what hurts now?"They answer my question almost like an after thought , quickly getting back to thier other complaints that have nothing to do with thier visit and nothing I can fix.These are the people that in the moment I must remind myself that I really love my job and care about this stranger before me.These are also the people that at the end of the day I shake my head and hope thier okay.
                Next there is The Smiler.Yes I said Smiler.These are the poor sad creatures that no matter what thier issue thay look in your eyes and say,"I'm fine dear."These are the people I feel most sorry for.Not so much because they have arrived to us injured or sick but because they don't seem to have the inner mustard to stand up for themselves.Even when thier life truely depends on thier answer they will shake thier heads,say no and tell me they have no serious medical issues.These are the people that are guessing games.Wiether they are vomiting blood or have a gapping wound even when there may be a death involved they will smile through tears and say all is all right.These are the people that at the end of my day I'm almost in tears wondering if they are truely alright,wishing they had only said something for themselves and for me.
              Finnally there is the worst of all The Deciever.I truely start out liking this one the most and end up hating them right to pieces.This is the one that chit chats with me about everything in thier lives laughing and joking with me over old stories and telling me how great thier experience has been.They never complain and always seem happy with me.When they leave I wish them well and they say things like,"You've been so wonderful thank you so much for everything."I smile thinking wow they were really nice hope they do well.Then bam a week or so later here comes the truth.A letter written not only to the boss but to the CEO.How awful thier care was from the Dietary Department to the nursing care.All the chit chat and joking all the no all is fine was nothing more than a rouse.They really hated me and thought their care was awful.That person is the worst.Why in Gods name did you not speak up when someone could have helped with those issues?Now nothing will come from it and the fact that you complained about all departments in the hospital gives you very little credibility.Because truthfully once you complain about everything we see little we could have done to help you to begin with.
           So I say keep a few things in mind the next time you find yourself in the unfortunate positoin of being a patient in a hospital.We are all in this profession because we care we really do want to help you.We are not judging why or how you ended up in our hospital.There are things we can not fix.We did not push you down your stairs,we didn't let your grandkid borrow the wood chipper and we didn't give you high cholestrol.We will be kind,patient and understanding.We are not mind readers.So, if there are issues we can help with polietly speak up.But remember there are some issues that are not ours to fix.We are medical proffesionals and we are also human beings with feelings.Being rude,yelling or acting like nothings wrong will not fix why you are here in the first place.
              

1 comment:

  1. "We did not push you down your stairs,we didn't let your grandkid borrow the wood chipper and we didn't give you high cholestrol."

    :)

    Nice line!

    I like all of this--you give us personality types and then fine tune it with bits of your own experience. Clear categories, good intro/outro/ decent development in the middle.

    Glad to take it.

    ReplyDelete