Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Example Essay

                         Decorating for the Christmas holidays has  always been my favorite time of year.At this point in my life I have had many oppurtunities to do this beloved activity of mine.Twinkling lights,big bright bulbs,tinsel falling from every corner and enough animated figures on the lawn to forget I have a front lawn.I have been accused by most everyone I know for going a "bit over the top."Out of all the moments I have heard such things from my family like,"What in Gods name?" or "Did Santa throw up mommy?"There are a few of these situations that really stick out in my mind.
                         As I drive home from work I am preparing to see tons of glorious lights beaming from my house producing more light then a Patriots football game at night.How I love to see those colorful lights blaring brightly from my ranch style, cedar shingeled home.I have nervously given the outside light task to my husband and youngest daughter this paticular year due to the fact that I had to work.I left very specific written instructions as to where every bulb should be.I went as far as to number the tons of boxes with brand new Christmas lights in them.All they have to do is read and place and it will be perfect!Completly prepared to be wowed I pull anxiously into my driveway.Lights look good on the porch.....and...where are my net lights?As I step out of my vehicle I  notice my daughter and husband standing by the front porch looking like two deer caught in the headlights of a fast moving car.As I approach my daughter pipes up,"Now mommy before you say anything..."Then my husband,"Are you tryin to kill me and make it look like a tragic holiday accident?""What the heck are you two talking about?And why are my net lights in the boxes and not on all the bushes and trees?" My husband and daughter give each other a look."My dear wife these net lights are meant for bushes that are low to the ground.Not for six foot tall bushes.There to small.Didn't you read the size on the nets?" "No I just make sure there beautiful." "Well,my husband says,you can take em back and get different ones for our bushes." "Oh no,no,no,I said,I can go back and get new ones for our bushes and keep these.I'm sure I can find somewhere to use them!And you two can help me!" "Oh brother!"says my daughter and my husband pipes in ,"You're gonna kill me yet!"
                       I look around my living room and I'm amazed.I've  even out done it for myself.Its awesome.The tree is in perfect position with oranaments waiting in boxes for the kids to put on,the singing bells are hung around every corner of the ceiling,the stockings are hung with much care.Awww...and this year I added the Santa hats to my husbands prize deer,took 3rd in the state.He loves that deer.Tells me "never touch the deer."But this is so adorable.Four Santa hats to cutely accent the antlers of his beautiful prized possesion.He couldn't not like it!"What in the **** is that on MY deer?" Uh-oh."Well ,I say as sweetly as possible, I thought the deer could use a little Christmas too." "Isn't it enough that this place looks like the North Pole from Roudolph the Red Nose Reindeer movie?Why in the hell did have to involve MY deer?"Oh he'll get over it,I think, as he mumbles and storms out of the house.MMMMM...I really think the deer needs a scarf!
                     The cats of my home are part of the family.They get meals,treats special places to lay so why not give them thier own stockings?After all Santa can fill them with fishy treats and new toys maybe a little cat nip.So off I go in search of eight perfect stockings.Lets see differnt colors or traditional?Animal themed or not?Names on them or not?As I stand in the aisle of this busy store people I believe are starting to look at me funny.No matter to me its Christmas time and no one will bring me down!Besides these cats are family,childern and they deserve stockings.I finnally decide on traditional green and red and I'll paint there names on each stocking.I painted,applied glitter glue and some little candy canes and hung them up with care next to all of ours.My kids thought it was cute "a nice idea mom" my husband looks me in the  eye and says,"I gotta pee."Well no matter I'm once again happy and satisfied with my "kitty stockings."
                     The twinkling lights,the tinsel, the big bright bulbs I love it all.And yes this year will be no exception.I will do it all again happier than a clam in mud to do so!And in case you're wondering yes the "prize deer " will have the four Santa hats upon his antlers!You see I think deep down they all really love it as much as I do.
                    

1 comment:

  1. "So off I go in search of eight perfect stockings."

    Whoa! That's a misspelling! I know you meant "eight purr-fect stockings"!

    :)

    Nice piece--always good when the writer can poke a little fun at herself. The examples are fine, almost like they were "hung by the chimney with care."

    ReplyDelete