Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Re-write on Cause essay

                          I have looked down these streets for many years now.Trash blowing down the six lanes of rush hour traffic  that never ends,the people screaming out the windows at one another and the police flying by in yet another high speed chase.The air is heavy with smog and car pollution the haze of which is masked by the 110 degree heat.The crowed bus stop people sweating and cursing waiting for the next public air conditioned bus to come and save them from their misfortune.I wait on that sidewalk,waiting to save myself from this view,the one I have grown to dispise.
                          I have longed to leave this for so long I tell my mother.I can see her hands tighten on the car steering wheel as she drives me to the airport."I know you want to....." I can see the sadness in her eyes.I hate so much to see her in pain but I must continue to explain my reasoning."Mom you know I love you more than anyone but I have to go.I have to leave.The city,the high crime,the memories around every corner there killing my spirit.I can't stay mom.I have to try." My mother looks at me with tears and says,"Memories are in your mind you know?They will still be there." I look at her for a moment knowing she's right in part."Yes mom thats true but they won't be staring me in the face." "Besides", I continue,"I can't possibly take another summer,the noise and the crime rate has sky rocketed." My mother sighs."You can always come home if you change your mind."So off I went.With tears in both our eyes and me on the verge of vomiting I boarded the plane and said goodbye to my old life and hello to the unknown.
                        We have landed.Landed in my new world.As I step off the plane I am freezing,holy crap its only 60 degrees!And where are all the people?Are they even sure this is an airport?As I walk through this tiny "airport", (as they tell me it is)I think well you wanted away from the city and far as I see Bangor,Maine is a suburb,you didn't want crowds none here and the heat well thats disappeared to.As far as crime seems to me theres not enough people for crime here from what I see.I get my bags gathered and walk outside.I take a deep breath.Wow no smog!Is that a bird I hear?Time to call my friend for a ride.As I look around I'm thinking this could go either way.
                        As I ride along with my friend to her home"up north",as she calls it I am amazed by the landscape.Trees,bushes and blue sky for miles.No rushing traffic,unless you count the two logging trucks whizzing by,no screaming people,no sirens,no smog and by now I'm wearing a sweater.It makes me smile for all the reasons I came there are known here.All of which I wanted away is long away,1,960 miles to be exact.I smile to myself perhaps this is just what this city girl born and raised needs.
                        Shoveling,plowing,wood stoves,oil heat and plow trucks.I hate them all.These are the things I didn't think of in my "reasoning."I have recieved all I was looking for in moving to Maine.Its quiet,calm,cool most the time,the air is clean and the crime is low.But I miss my mother and my family.The winter has proven to be hard for me and not what I bargained for.I had never shoveled in my life,never heard of oil heat or seen a wood stove.As I cried to my mother on the phone she said exactly what she said when I left,"You can always come home."Maybe its my stubborn nature but instantly that dried my tears.I knew there had to be another reason to stay here.One that would make shoveling,plowing and wood stoves worth it.
                     
               
                          

2 comments:

  1. Same deal as with the contrast essay I just read. You tell me whether to take it or not.

    I want to take it: it's a real essay, you know your way around a paragraph, you explain your reasons for being here, your reactions to the place, and offer a dynamite last graf.

    I don't want to take it: it doesn't follow my little outline for three reasons why X, one reason per support graf. Maybe my outline is not that important!

    You tell me what I should do with this enjoyable and heartfelt essay--glad to take it or glad to have you rework it. Let me know your pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like you to take this too.I wasn't sure if you're being sarcastic or not about you're outline is not that important.I think it is but I tend to put my own wave on it.I'm not sure if thats a good thing or not but if you like it and feel its well written then maybe it works for both of us.At least I hope so.I'm proud of it and think its good so please take it.

    ReplyDelete